Friday, February 4, 2011

Valentine's decorations

I don't do much decorating for holidays, other than Christmas, but I usually try to do a little. This corner cabinet is one of the first things you see when you enter our back door. It's an easy place to decorate and lets me move some of my favorite stuff around. The other day when we had snow and I had nowhere I had to go, I puttered around and did a little Valentine's decorating.
I made this cute heart banner a few years ago. I embroidered LOVE with my nifty sewing machine before I cut the hearts out and stitched them together. I sewed some ribbon on either end so I can tie it on. It's one of those small things that makes me smile:)


Last year I took the old candy canes, glued them together as shown and made little hearts. I think I got the idea from Family Fun magazine. Very easy. I kept mine from last year but it is easy enough to do each year. (See my favorite square Petit Fleur platter in the background?)

This one still has the ribbon to hang it, but I just leaned it up against the birdhouse one of my kids got for Christmas. At some point I will probably take the birdhouse out and let someone paint it.

Even the glassed my SIL painted for me one year look festive in the corner cabinet. Behind the glasses my goodwill bowls with the red stripes.

Finally, I took any green candy out of the mason jars. I added some red twizzlers and that is my Valentine's decoration.

It's still a week away, but Happy Valentine's Day from KH Designs