Friday, January 20, 2012

Moss covered letter



Although it just snowed last night and all the decorations have been taken down - I'm not saying they have been put away, but...  anyway, it was time for a springy project.  I saw this project done on the beautiful blog Dear Lillie last year.  I had gotten a box of paper backed moss through Freecycle before Christmas.  Freecycle is a program where you can offer and request things through an email group.  It's done to keep still usable items out of the landfills.  The groups are localized so that you are not travelling far.  So someone offered this paperbacked moss and I responded as fast as I could so I could eventually do this project. 


So now I had all my supplies for my project.  The back of the letter is cut out of a pizza box.



I cut a template out of newspaper.  As you can see the H is a little wonky but I figured the moss would cover alot of imperfections. 

Once the letter is cut out,


I laid the H on the back of the moss. 


I was going to cut right around the H but decided to make some cuts in the paper to fold it around to the back.  Since the paper was really brittle, probably old but since it was free to me I can't complain,  I spritzed the front and back of the paper to soften it a little bit.


While it was sitting for a minute and the glue gun was warming, I spritzed my poor fern who is neglected in the winter.


Once the glue gun was hot I just glued the moss onto the cardboad and folded over the edges as shown below.


A couple of spots were missing moss so I just took some extra moss and hot glued it in place. 


I'm so pleased with the end result.  I have tons of the paper backed moss left and need to think a some projects to use it.